RETREATS & CONFERENCES
For over 20 years, Steve has enjoyed keynoting, leading music, and preaching for a wide diversity of church retreats and conferences. As his experience below indicates, he is comfortable working with all ages in all settings – children, youth and adults; the weekend youth retreat and the adult church conference.
As a multi-instrumentalist, Steve likes to branch out from the comfort of his beloved acoustic guitar to incorporate piano, upright bass, banjo, ukelele – even other instrumentalists. In teaching and leading music, Steve strikes a comfortable and consistent balance that encourages participation without becoming “performance.” He not only draws from the best of what’s typically called “praise music,” but has been known to incorporate, on occasion, a Coldplay or Mumford & Sons tune.
His diverse catalog of songs follow a simple mantra: melodies that are singable, theology that is reformed, lyrics that are inclusive, music that brings people together. And no “Jesus-is-my-boyfriend” songs. Steve also enjoys writing the traditional “theme song” for some of the conferences he’s had the pleasure of leading music for. You can listen below.
With his keynotes and preaching, Steve strives for Biblically-based and theologically-sound messages from the heart and head that both inspire and inform. He loves using stories from personal experience and the experiences of those around him, as well as the occasional movie clip, song or cultural image, to drive his point home. Steve’s keynotes and preaching are always positive and uplifting, focusing on the love of Jesus for all people, and the calling we have as the body of Christ to not just “go to church” but to “be the church!”
An incomplete list of retreats/conferences Steve has or is scheduled to lead (M = Music, K = Keynote)
- Massanetta Middle School Conference, July 2014 (K)
- Montreat Middle School Conference, July 2013 (M)
- NEXT National Conference, March 2013 (M)
- Presbytery of the Peaks Middle School Conference, September 2012 (K)
- NEXT Mid-Atlantic Conference, August 2012 (M)
- Wild Goose Festival East Sacred Space worship, June 2012 (M)
- “Seeking Stars,” Montreat Collegiate Conference, January 2012 (M)
- Trinity Presbytery Middle School & High School retreats, 2010-2013 (M & K)
- Massanetta Middle School Conference, June 1999 and 2010 (M)
- Salem Presbytery Middle School & High School retreats (M & K)
- North Alabama Presbytery Middle School Retreat (K)
- Greater Atlanta Presbytery Middle & High School Retreats (K)
- Presbytery of the James Middle & High School Retreats (M & K)
- New Hope Presbytery Middle & High School Retreats (M & K)
- Cherokee Presbytery High School Retreat (K)
CONTACT STEVE if you’re interested in talking with him about retreat/conference leadership.
Steve and friends leading “Awake My Soul” at the 2012 Montreat Collegiate Conference: